If you wish to take your husband or wife’s last name or wish to have a combination of the two, you may be required to submit a marriage certificate from Vital Statistics. Driver’s licences, bank accounts, credit cards and taxation offices may require this certificate as proof that you and your spouse are married.
Who can order a marriage certificate
- A person whose marriage is registered.
- An individual with written authorization.
- Legal representative who requires it for official duties. (proof is required)
- An individual with an order from the court.
- A person with power of attorney, guardian or trustee.
- Any adult next of kin of the decease bride or groom.
- The executor of the estate.
Steps to obtain your Marriage Certificate
- Come to the Southland Registrations office with personal identification.
- Provide our staff with your contact information as well as your marriage information, such as date, place of marriage, full names of bride and groom.
- At Southland Registrations we have the ability to order your marriage certificate with Vital Statistics right on line. This can speed up the ordering process greatly.
Please allow up to two weeks for delivery of your certificate. If you opted for the courier service, barring any complications, we should have the document within three business days. Once your certificate has arrived we will contact you. Please pick up your certificate at our Southland Registrations office. Before doing so, you must provide identification so that we can verify your identity.