In order to protect you from identity theft &fraud, temporary documents or photocopies of documents will NOT be accepted. All documents must be originals and may be subject to verification with the issuing entity prior to acceptance.
If our staff cannot form a reasonable belief that they know the true identity of a client, services may be refused.
1. Photo Documents – Presentation and comparison of a photo type of identification which
must contain the clients legal name and date of birth
- Alberta operator’s licence or identification card.
- Photo identification card issued by another Motor Vehicle jurisdiction or Government issued photo identification.
- Citizenship, Immigration, Naturalization, or Permanent Resident Card.
- Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card.
- Municipal, Territorial, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification.
2. Supporting Documents – You may be required to present support documentation that contains two data elements such as name, date of birth, signature, address or legal presence (citizenship card, refugee travel document, student authorization etc.) to identify yourself.
- Birth or Marriage Certificate
- Municipal, territorial, Provincial, Federal Government Employee Card
- Chequing or saving account bank statements
- Utility, telephone, gas or cable bill in clients name
- Property tax bill or receipt, land title or mortgage documents.
- Income tax receipts
Debit and Credit cards are not an acceptable supplementary support document.
All documents must be valid and up to date.
2. Knowledge Verification – Knowledge verification is any information about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from information contained on the computer systems that we use.
- What kind of vehicle do you drive?
- What is your address?
- What is your telephone number?
A person who is under 18 years of age who are not self supporting or married, will be required to provide acceptable identification, and have their parent or guardian accompany them to a registry office to sign a Parent/Guardian consent form (This form must be signed in the office).
A parent or guardian will only have to sign the consent form once. In the event a client fails a knowledge test, Southland Registrations will stamp the original consent form. This stamped form must be provided to re-write the knowledge test without the parent of guardian present.